Middle School Home Learning
We want students to be independent and self-motivated in their learning. Home learning promotes work ethic and helps to consolidate skills learnt in school.
Home learning is one of the most important ways of supporting student achievement.
Through home learning we aim to:
- Encourage and develop self-discipline and skills in planning and organising time
- Reinforce, extend and consolidate work done in class
- Involve parents and carers as partners in education
- Prepare students for tests and examinations where appropriate
- Further challenge and extend more able students and provide focused and sustained support for less able students.
Students are issued with a student planner to record their home learning activities and note when they are due.
The majority of Home learning for Middle School pupils is focused on the core curriculum subjects English, Maths and occasionally Science, developing literacy and numeracy skills.
Each week students will have spellings to learn. These are usually given at the start of the week and tested at the end of the week. Middle School pupils are also encouraged to read regularly at home, both independently for pleasure and as part of their progress through the reading scheme.